ASSG Awards Entry Guidelines
All Categories Information
**Please read through this list carefully, points 1-12 affect ALL entries. Category specific information can be found further on in the guidelines**
1. All entries for the ASSG Awards must be submitted via our online entry form. Please note we will no longer accept entries that are not made through our online entry system.
2. The person submitting the entry must be a financial member of the ASSG.
3. The person submitting the entry will be responsible for all information submitted and alterations to the original entry will only be accepted at the discretion of the ASSG Awards Sub-Committee.
4. The ASSG will only accept one (1) entry form per programme, so please consult with your Sound Supervisor, or equivalent colleague, to ensure you haven’t forgotten any names before submitting an entry. It is important that all names are included on the entry form. Please don’t submit an entry if you are not able to submit all the relevant names accurately.
5. The ASSG will use the spelling of names as listed on the entry form for any press releases, nomination certificates, trophies or any other correspondence related to the ASSG Awards.
6. The ASSG takes no responsibility for any errors in the spelling of names submitted through the online entry form. Please ensure that all names on the entry are spelt correctly.
7. All entrants must complete the section in the entry form where it asks for the reasons why your entry should be considered in its category. This will assist the judges during the judging process.
8. If there are fewer than four (4) entries in any category no nominees or winners will be awarded in that category.
9. The ASSG reserves the right to change the category a project is entered into if it is deemed necessary.
10. The ASSG reserves the right to reject any entries which don’t meet our eligibility criteria without further consultation.
11. All data submitted to the ASSG via the ASSG Awards online entry form may be retained by the ASSG for future reference, excluding any commercial use.
12. Entry submissions received after the closing date will not be accepted.
Category Specific Information
Feature Film Entries
13. All Best Sound for a Feature Film entries must have been commercially released prior to the ASSG Awards ceremony in any given year. Any feature film entered which does not meet this criteria will be deemed ineligible.
14. All feature film entrants must ensure the ASSG can access a DCP and a valid KDM during the judging process. This will include at least one (1) screening but could include up to three (3) screenings. The ASSG will screen these DCP’s to ASSG members who participate in the ASSG Awards judging process. Please ensure this is possible with your Producer (or any other authorised person) before you submit your entry, to avoid your entry being declared ineligible.
15. Please note, feature film entries will only be accepted on DCP. No film prints or other media will be accepted.
16. After the close of online entries, the ASSG will contact the entrant (or their nominated agent) of the feature film entered, to organise access to a DCP of the programme. The ASSG takes all care but assumes no responsibility for damage or loss to DCP.
17. All non-feature programmes entered must have been broadcast prior to the awards ceremony in any given year.
18. All non-feature film entries must provide three (3) DVDs of each programme entered, except the Best Sound for a Television Commercial or Promo, Best Sound for an Animated Short Film, Best Sound for a Short Fiction Film and Best Sound for Interactive Media categories which must now be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo and a link provided (more information below).
19. All non-feature DVD submissions must be received by the date specified by the ASSG in any given year.
20. For DVD entries – The ASSG reserves the right to distribute the entered DVDs to the Award judges as appropriate in order to facilitate judging for the ASSG awards.
21. Only the submitted DVDs will be distributed to judges, no copies will be made.
22. All submitted DVDs will remain the property of the ASSG unless an addressed, postage paid, return envelope is submitted with the DVD entries. The ASSG will endeavour to return entries within eight (8) weeks of the conclusion of the awards ceremony.
Lifestyle, Reality or Live Television, Tele-feature & Television Drama Series (under 30 minutes and over 30 minutes) Entries
23. If you are submitting an entry in the Best Sound for Lifestyle, Reality or Live Television, Best Sound for a Tele-Feature, Best Sound for a Television Drama Series – under 30 minutes or Best Sound for a Television Drama Series – over 30 minutes categories, please make sure you submit only one episode, if applicable. Multiple episodes will not be accepted.
24. If you are entering a Best Sound for a Documentary, then you must nominate a section of the programme, up to 15 minutes, which the judging panel should pay special attention to during the judging process.
Short Film Entries
25. In the Best Sound for a Short Fiction Film and Best Sound for an Animated Short Film categories all entries must have been screened commercially (theatrical or TV) or screened at a film festival to be eligible.
26. All entries must be submitted to Vimeo or YouTube (see below for details)
Television Commercial or Promo
27. In the Best Sound for a Television Commercial or Promo category all entries must have been screened commercially (theatrical or TV) or screened at a film festival to be eligible.
28. All entries must be submitted to Vimeo or YouTube (see below for details).
29. The Best Sound for Interactive Media Award is open to all non-linear projects, videos or games that include some element of audio interactive computer entertainment.
The various platforms include:
• Web sites with interactive audio content (e.g.Children’s educational flash site).
• Web media such as promotional material (includes some level of interactivity, not just linking to external websites).
• Mobile games or apps (iOS or Android).
• Handheld games (PSP, PSVita, Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS.
• Console games (PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo WiiU).
• PC/MAC games.
30. All entries must be submitted to Vimeo or YouTube (see below for details). This is for judging purposes only as judges may not have access to the appropriate device to play the entry.
31. Do not enter multiple formats for the one project.
32. Please capture a section of the project, no longer than 10 minutes, that best demonstrates the sound of the project.
33. Multiple videos of different game levels are acceptable but please limit these to 10 minutes in total.
34. Please provide links to the work in the original format.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Streaming and Uploading
Streaming programmes (Netflix, Stan etc.)
We accept all entries ‘broadcast’ via a streaming service (including YouTube) as long as they are available for viewing to the general public prior to the ASSG Awards ceremony in any given year.
We will still require a DCP for any feature film entries that are streamed and we will require judging DVDs (3 copies) for the following non feature categories;
● Best Sound for Lifestyle, Reality or Live Television
● Best Sound for a Tele Feature
● Best Sound for a Television Drama Series – under 30 minutes
● Best Sound for a Television Drama Series – over 30 minutes
● Best Sound for a Documentary
YouTube and Vimeo uploads
The ASSG now only accepts entries via YouTube or Vimeo for the following non-feature award categories;
● Best Sound for a Television Commercial or Promo
● Best Sound for an Animated Short Film
● Best Sound for a Short Fiction Film
● Best Sound for Interactive Media
Please upload your entry at the highest practical resolution. We recommend no less than 720p (standard definition, same as a DVD). H.264 and Mp4 are 2 compressed codecs which combine quality with a small file size.
If you are unsure what upload formats or security options are available please refer to the links below. If you do decide to password protect your entry, please provide the ASSG with the password on application. This will only be shared with our judges.
YouTube (supports 5.1 sound)
*YouTube submissions need to be set to ‘Unlisted’ in the privacy settings in order for our judges to access the material*
Vimeo (only accepts stereo sound)
For any queries regarding these guidelines please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.