The sound track for a screen-based production usually requires the efforts of many people working in different roles and different phases of the production.
In any style of production, from a TV magazine program to a mini series; from a minimalist documentary to a sonically complex feature film, there is always more than one of the sound crafts involved.
One person or many may fill the different sound production and post-production roles which, in Australia, usually breakdown as follows:-
LOCATION (PRODUCTION) SOUND
– including Location Recordists, Boom Swingers, Playback Operators and FX Recordists
– including Dialogue Editors, FX Editors, ADR Editors, Music Editors, Foley Artists and Foley Editors
SOUND MIXERS AND ENGINEERS
– including Dubbing (Re-Recording) Mixers, Scoring Engineers, ADR Engineers and Foley Engineers
TELEVISION PRODUCTION AUDIO
– including Audio Directors and Boom Operators (Studio and Outside Broadcast)
– includes audio for computer games, educational software and other interactive computer and video audio